Bridger Scouts Punch Their Ticket to Divisionals

The Bridger Scouts opened up the district tournament in Huntley against the Park City Panthers. The Scouts battled with the Panthers and kept it close, but due to some hot shooting from behind the arch, the Panthers would go onto win 52-46.

With the early loss, the Scouts drew a second round matchup against the Reed Point Renegades. The Renegades really pushed the Scouts to their limits early, only trailing the Scouts 33-30 going into halftime. However, the Scouts found a flow offensively in the 3rd quarter. Led by Trent Goldsberry’s 21 points the Scouts put away the Renegades in the second half by the final score of 76-65.

The Scouts next matchup was against the Harlowton Engineers, who had beaten the Scouts in both games this season. However, as many know, one of the hardest things to do in sports is beat a team three times; The Scouts proved that theory on Saturday.

The Scouts had their fans very nervous at the start of the game, allowing the Engineers to jump out to an early 12-0 lead in the 1st. Then going into the 2nd quarter down 19-10, the Scouts went on a run of their own and brought the score to 30-28 right before halftime.

The two teams went back and forth in the 3rd, however, in the 4th the Scouts had all the momentum. While the Engineers had the advantage of size in the paint, the Scouts baited them into playing an up-tempo game in the 4th quarter, and it worked out perfectly for the Scouts. The Scouts went on to a 30-17 run, and won the game by the final score of 66-57.

The win over the Engineers punched the Scouts ticket into the Divisional tournament, and set up a rubber match for third place against the Plenty Coups Warriors. The Warriors came out with a new found fire in their game with the Scouts. They began to force turnovers in the front court and half court, putting the Scouts down early. Trailing 38-22 at halftime, the Scouts were able to make a late push of their own. The Scouts outscored the Warriors in the second half, but it wouldn’t be enough.

The Warriors iced the game and went on to win by the final score of 79-68.